This page will show my favourite image from the shoot become a double page spread. The location was a brick wall, found near an old factory/yard. I specifically chose this location for the sign that reads 'please keep children under strict control'. For this shoot, and the general theme of Easter, the location being very worn down and the sign added a humorous irony to the image. It also added a essence of punk and rebellion which I wanted. This again contradicted to the usual 'Easter bunny' mood and excitement.
The image shows a male model, in a typical biker/punk outfit, with the added accessory of the bunny ears. They are looking away from the camera which gives the model a sense of moody and 'i dont care' attitude.
The model is in the left hand side, which makes it easier to add text to the spread.
The image shows a male model, in a typical biker/punk outfit, with the added accessory of the bunny ears. They are looking away from the camera which gives the model a sense of moody and 'i dont care' attitude.
The model is in the left hand side, which makes it easier to add text to the spread.
How I edited this image:
This screen grab shows the first step in my editing, adjusting the levels. I wanted the background to be very dark and mysterious, but wanted the face not to look washed and pale.
I made two adjustment layers, each being levels. One being very dark and one being lighter. I made the dark one how I wanted it, then using the layer mask, removed the face and hands. This then lightened them. I then made the other level layer, inverted the mask and painted on the head and arms. I didn't make it too different, however i wanted the skin tone to match the original image as much as possible.
This screen grab shows the hue and saturation adjustment layer.
I adjusted the saturation so the sign and the yellow/orange stripe on the jacket really 'popped' and was very vivid. The only issue with this was that the models skin tone and the pieces of rust and dirt (the orange specks) were very distorted and untrue to the real image. So using the layer mask, I removed the effect on the face, hands and some of the specks. I used a small brush, one that was similar to the speck size. This made sure that the wall wasn't effected. After this was done, it was time to experiment with the layout of text and other edits.
Experimentation:
This image shows colour splash on the sign. The idea behind this was to make the viewer notice the irony on the sign. However, it ended up making the sign the main focus, this also combined with it being in the middle of the image. This was distracting from the main point, which was the choice of location and the way the Easter bunny was portrayed.
This image shows experimentation with the logo and text on the image. The first idea I came up with was 'let the punk bunny play!'. I used a very standard and gaming like font, which I thought would add to the different, unique and punk style to the image. However, I thought the font was too plain and the title was too clique. On the other hand, I liked the positioning but thought it could be improved by perhaps moving it and changing the font. This is what I experimented with next.
Here, the screen grab shows a changed font, which was found on 'dafont' after searching in punk.
I kept the white background to see if it would attract the viewers eye. I also kept the slogan, just for an experiment. I found out that the white didn't attract the reader and made the image look less professional and very rushed. The slogan added a childlike effect to my image, which I wanted to get away from. Also, the font didn't really work well with the image itself as it was very cartoony and comic like. The positioning also didn't work well, as the text seemed different from the image and it became hidden from the viewers first glance.
This screen grab shows a different font, text and positioning. I also changed the font colour to a dark grey, which had a lower opacity. This was to contrast with the black of the jacket. The font I used for this was also found on dafont and is bold and cartoon like. I used capital letters to also fit in with the punk theme. The positioning for the text does work, however the line of the arm gives me the idea to place the text near it. This would make the viewer follow the line of the arm and read the text. This was the next thing to experiment with. I also need to think about a slogan/another line of information to give context to the reader. The title 'PUNK BUNNY' is very simple but with the added visual of the image, the viewer understands that the page is about alternative Easter fashions, such as 'punk'.
This screen grab shows the added slogan/ extra piece of information, with the same font as the title. However, the sizing is smaller and the colour is black, instead of grey. I also moved the title to the elbow length of the arm and this worked better than in the bottom right hand corner. This made the viewer follow the models arm, to the elbow and then get 'distracted' by the title.
The slogan in this screen grab is black and doesn't match with the title, this will have to be changed. Also, I think that the slogan could be lifted up more and the title to be more in the middle of the image.
The two show the slogan being the same colour as the text. This works better as they both match and combine. The colours don't distract the viewer from the image and the main concept, which is what you need in a double page spread. However, in the first image, I think that there needs to be less space. I tried this in the bottom image, which worked better. This image seemed more professional and the viewer would read the title then carry on reading the slogan. The bottom image will be one of my final double page spreads.
PLEASE READ PS BELOW.
PLEASE READ PS BELOW.
In this image, I have accidentally removed the hue and saturation layer. On the final image, it will be there and similar to the image above.









No comments:
Post a Comment