Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Letter & Image Task:

For this task, we were told to go out and take a few pictures about our theme (holiday). Once we came back, we were told to produce a letter, or shape (in my instance) via photoshop. All these images where then combined to create an alphabet.

Contact sheet: 






Editing: 


After shooting I decided to edit the most fashionable, eye catching and better image. I decided to not do the letter to this image, as it looked better without. Below shows before and after editing.

Before:                                                                                      After: 

How I edited this image: 
I decided to apply simple edits on this image. First I adjusted the levels, to make the image slightly brighter, but I still wanted to keep the skin tone a realistic tone. Next, opening an adjustment tab, I adjusted the saturation and made sure the lips and hair were bright and attracting, these levels are shown in screencap 1. I then inverted the layer and painted on the saturation, screencap 2 shows the inverted layer mask. 

Screencap 1: 


Screencap 2: 






Analysis of this image: 
This image shows a girl, looking up to the camera. Her hair is spread out and she is lying on a bed of travel brochure pages. This was the link to the theme of holiday. This image is a colour portrait, which can be seen as fashionable. The bright, natural lighting suggests to the viewer that the image was taken in summer, also the models outfit and smile also suggests this. This again links to holidays. 
This image had a fast shutter speed, as it was windy and i wanted to freeze any movement in the pages. I also had a narrow depth of field, to focus on the model. The way that the pages are mostly white, also doesn't distract the reader. This also means that they focus on the model. 
I really like this image as the emotion of the model makes the viewer smile. I also think that the less detailed background adds emphasis to the image and adds an extra layer of meaning to the image. This is the thoughts of holidays and 'happy' times. 

My shaped image: 
As my theme is not a letter, like others, I was given a shape to change my image into. This was as triangle with a circle in. I thought about adding two images, one in the circle and one in the triangle. However, once I created the image below, I thought adding another image would make it over detailed and too busy. 


I particually like this image as it looks professional and I think it could be part of an advertisement or logo. 
The image shows a bunch of placed travel brochure pages, which have been spread out. The image has been cropped into a triangle with a circle in. This reminds me of the letter 'A' without the bottom. This, like stated above, makes me think of it included in an advertisement. 
Looking at the image, the side of the triangles are not perfect and are a little off centre. However, I like this as it adds a unique and quirky feel to the image. 
I also like the way there is two different shades of white. The one in the triangle is brighter, where the background is more cream. This directs the viewers attention to the triangle, which adds to the image.
Next, I plan to experiment with writing the word 'Holiday' into this image. 

Holiday image - Black background: 


This image shows the word holiday which is filled with travel brochures.  Again, this image reminds me of a part of an advertisement or logo. 
The background of the image is black, which I think adds to the image. This is because the pages are white and the bright colours of the images on the pages stand out. I like this in the image.  I also want to experiment with having a white background, just to see the effect on the viewer and its aesthetic properties. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment