Tuesday, 4 March 2014

I-D front covers: Inspiration and common features:

Before preparing and shooting images, I decided to look at the front covers of the magazine. I wanted to notice the similarities and differences of a variety and to gain inspiration for the camera angles, outfits and emotions of the models. 

Below, I will explain my favourites and note the similarities and differences in the covers. 




Similar features:
ID logo - YES
Title - YES
Bar code - NO
Wink - YES


The flowers suggests spring/summer. So inspire me to make the object link to the theme. The yellow of the ID logo and the text match, which makes the cover more pleasing to look at. The title font is fun and unique, which adds to the pop culture feel of the magazine and also gives ideas and intrigues its young adult audience. There isn't a bar code in this issue. It suggests to me that its at the back. The strip down the side distracts me from the image and I dislike this, so I wont be having one in my image. The image has been shot in the studio, where as I will be using a location.



Similar features:
ID logo - YES
Title - YES
Bar code - YES
Wink - YES (eye covered)
This front cover gives me more of an old feel, like the 60's. The  flick of hair over the eye reminds me of confident models and still counts as the ID wink. It inspires me to make my model cover her eye, perhaps she can pull a moody, angry expression. I could also use a hat or sunglasses to cover it. The location in this image is the sky, which adds a summer feel to the image. It inspires me to think about summer locations, such as picnic benches, fields, perhaps walls to suggest a city holiday. I particularly like the closeness of the camera to the model, I will try to achieve this in my images. There is also matching colours with the green in the hair and the clothes. This makes me think about the outfit choice of the model. 

Similar features:
ID logo - YES
Title - YES
Bar code - YES
Wink - YES (eye covered)

This cover reminds me of the summer and holiday theme. The main reason for this is the location, the sandy beach and the blue sky. It inspires me to think about locations, perhaps a swimming pool. There is a narrow depth of field in this image, I will be using this technique. I like the distance between the model and the camera, however I want my images to be closer. This is as i want the model to fill most of the cover, not only half like this example. The black title seems to get lost in this image, so I need to think about font colours and type. 







Other covers: 





No comments:

Post a Comment